Arrival and Dismissal Information
- To ensure the safety of our students, we have before school supervision on our playground (inside the building for inclement weather days) starting at 8:30 AM. Students should not arrive before 8:30 AM. Learning starts at 9:00 AM. Students need to be in their seats, ready to start their day at 9:00 AM.
- Students can leave their backpacks in their designated line below their classroom number and join friends on the playground when they arrive. At the sound of the whistle (around 8:53), all students will line up on the playground in front of their homeroom number and get ready to walk into the building.
- Bus transportation is only provided to students who live in Terramere and Wynfield neighborhoods. Students riding the bus are assigned a bus stop and time. If your child is eligible for busing services, specific information for your child is created by our district and included in this mailing. Please help us encourage safe bus behavior.
- When inclement weather occurs, students will come inside the building when they arrive at school. We will post a red flag on the front median in the parking lot to indicate indoor arrival.
- If your child is late, please walk with them to the main entrance to ensure safe arrival in the building. You will need to enter the main office and check in with Mrs. Pitti.
- Students in Clubhouse (through the Buffalo Grove Park District) can be at Longfellow no earlier than 7:00 AM.
Car Drop Off
Car drop off is in the front of the building, along the median. Please remember to pull all the way up to the front of the middle aisle so we can allow for the most cars in the lot to drop off at the same time. DO NOT get out of your car. If your child needs assistance during drop off, please park your car, help your child, and walk them towards the front entrance. We appreciate your help in decreasing congestion and maximizing student safety during arrival. Please remind your child to WALK (not run) and use the crosswalk.
Playground Drop Off
If you would like to drop off your child, please park your car and walk your child to the playground.
- Please talk to your child about where he/she should go at dismissal and let his/her teacher know about your plan.
- If your child is walking home, he/she will be dismissed from the front door. Please greet your child at the front door if you are meeting them to walk home together.
- If your child is being picked up in a car, he/she will be dismissed from a side door on the north side of the building. Cars drive behind the building and will be guided into three lanes. As students are dismissed, cars are guided to pick up their child in the pick-up lane along the building. To maintain traffic flow, cars are asked to continually (and safely) move up their vehicle in the pick-up line.
- If your child rides the bus, he/she will meet in the gym and school staff will safely walk the students to their bus. Students may get off ONLY at his or her stop. Your child is only eligible to ride the bus they are assigned to by the school district. Bus transportation is only provided to students who live in Terramere and Wynfield neighborhoods.
- If your child is in Clubhouse, he/she will walk to the cafeteria and check in with the Buffalo Grove Park District staff right after school. Students in Clubhouse can be at Longfellow no later than 6:00 PM.
- Parents/guardians of students in kindergarten that ride the bus: An adult must meet your child at the bus stop. If no adult is present, your child will be taken back to school. Kindergarten students will receive a bus card that will be hooked onto their backpack. Parents/guardians of kindergarten students will also receive a card from the district that needs to be brought to the bus stop when picking up your child. The parent/guardian card indicates to the bus driver that the adult picking up the child is a safe person to accompany your child.
- If you are late to pick up your child, he/she will be waiting in the main office. Please call the office to reassure your child that you are on the way.